I was just milling about wikipedia (as one does), and I thought of something to look up. You guessed it, lasers. Laser, or (lazer for US readers), is a word that brings to me kitch science fiction and people trying to be cool in the 1990s.
I didn’t realise how important lasers are. Here are some uses that I have that lasers have:
- Data reading
- Sensors, which have uses in medicine and experimental sciences
- Calculating distances
- “Inertial confinement fusion” – work in process
- Deliberate blinding of combatants
- Dermatological (skin) modification
- Vision correction
- Scalpel/removal in surgery
- Dental applications
I must urge that these are general, and any given use above has lots of more qualifications and distinctions within that (sensors, for example).
I didn’t realise how important the laser was. This is a true success of our science.